Monday, September 10, 2012

2012 NFL

Are you ready for some football?!  Normally, my answer would be a very hearty "YES!" but this year is completely different for me.

As a Kansas City resident, you would think I would proudly wear Chiefs Red - uh, no.  This citified-country girl is a through and through Cheesehead; GO GREEN BAY!!!  Woody is a fanatical Steelers fan.  My house will be in turmoil for the next 4 months!  Let me explain. . .

Yesterday morning, on our way to church, Woody proclaims "The Steelers don't play until 7:20 tonight, so we don't have to rush home after church."  This sounds odd to me, why?  Sundays following church we always go out to lunch.  Following lunch, we had some errands to run (Woody got to pick his own soap fragrance from Bath & Body Works), and it was such a beautiful day I thought we could walk around the outdoor shopping area of the northland, Zona Rosa.  Within 10 minutes of walking, my darling Woody asks why we are walking away from the car on a "football day"?  Good grief!!  Back to the car we went, double time.  Once at home, Woody took up residence in his chair to start the rest of his day.  The funny part, the recliner he sits in his sage green; do you think he realized he was rooting for the Steelers in a green chair?! 

Once the game finally started, Woody was in a great mood - laughing, joking, making small talk - until the 4th quarter.  The pivotal play when the Steelers, who were in the lead, attempted a 2-pt conversion and failed (this would end up being their final scoring drive) and the Denver Broncos charged back down the field to score, and thanks to an interception thrown by "Big Ben" (my own nickname for the Steelers' quarterback), they quickly scored twice.  I had to turn around because I literally heard Woody's happy mood bubble leaking air at an accelerated rate, especially after my involuntary giggles escaped while watching the interception!  His mood didn't recover.

So, now I realize that I may actually have to root for black and gold on game days in order to promote a peaceful, happy environment regardless of the final score. 

No comments: