Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Time for Everything

This is my very first blog post, ever.  So, for those of you who happen to stumble upon it, don't expect too much, too soon. 

First, let me make this very clear.  Any opinions I may share are strictly that, MY OPINION.  I'm exercising that whole "freedom of speech" thing that is very clearly written in the Constitution.  Yes, I understand that the Constitution seems to be more open to interpretation in recent years than, well, ever. . .  So, taking a cue from a few hundred politicians, I'm going to spout about the one that will allow me to justify my current endeavor.  I reserve the right to change my mind and reprimand the next person for jumping on the same horse!

Who am I?  Well, I have always considered myself to be a Christian.  I believe that God loves me so much that he sent his son, Jesus, to die on the cross for my sins (John 3:16, loosely translasted).  However, what I now realize is that believing alone does not make a person a Christian.  You MUST walk the walk.  Enter in my new husband, let's call him "Woody" (sidebar, I LOVE The Pioneer Woman, so I'm politely borrowing the use of a pet name reference for my love from her, with great respect). 

I have known Woody since I was in the 4th grade.  We grew up in a small town in western Kansas.  Now, I bet a few of you are thinking, "how sweet, childhood sweethearts" and I'm here to tell you, NO!  We never dated when we were young.  In fact, it wasn't until almost 25 years after that first playground introduction (a failed long-term relationship, a lot of heart ache, and a resignation to never date again) that we reconnected and I quickly realized that this was the love of my life.  We were married 7.4.12 in a small, beautiful ceremony in Colorado.  I'm sure I'll go more in depth eventually. . .

Anyway, how does Woody play into the reaffirmation of my Christian faith?  We pray together.  A lot!  We pray for each other, for ourselves, for our families, for our friends, and even for our foes.  We have had to make some significant changes in our personal lives, especially when it comes to friends.  It's quite staggering how much negative influence is derived from peer pressure even at my age!  The main culprit I've personally dealt with on what seems like a recurring basis recently:  GOSSIP!  Again, another subject that I'll go more in depth into in the future.

Woody and I recently found a church together that we both feel we were led to discover.  I have not been on the right path to "walk the walk", but together with God and Woody, I am finding my way back to the path.  It's amazing how well illuminated it actually is once He showed me how to remove my blinders!  I have a long road ahead of me, but at least I know where to go for my road map.

Obviously, there are a lot more things I could ramble on and on about; there's time to do that.  I guess I should see how I feel about this after a few posts and not make any rash decisions?  Hmmm. . .  time will tell.  In the meantime, blessings to those that read!

No comments: